Gov. Jindal announced seven new legislative proposals which will seek to crack down on impaired driving. If approved all of these proposals will severely change the landscape for OWI offenses.
These proposals include:
1. Authority to allow multiple tests to prove impairment;
2. Dual suspension of license through administrative and criminal processes;
3. Substance abuse evaluations for first and second offenders;
4. Expansion of authority to convict with evidence of detectable amounts of drugs;
5. Extension of time for enhancement of penalties beyond ten years;
6. Increased penalties for second offenders;
7. Increased penalties for third offenders.
It will take some time for these to work their way through the legislature.
I’ll keep you posted.